What we do
Madhi works closely with the Tamil Nadu School Education Department to conceptualise and implement large scale quality improvement programmes in Tamil Nadu’s government schools. Over the course of the next 5 years Madhi will strengthen its existing programmes in the state (as well as undertake new programmes) with the singular aim of ensuring transformative improvement in the quality of school education in Tamil Nadu. Madhi’s programmes in Tamil Nadu are consolidated under a single umbrella called Project: TN Soars, comprising 3 critical projects: 1. Ennum Ezhuthum (The Tamil Nadu state Foundational Learning Mission), 2. TechForEdSystems and 3. Tamil Nadu STEAM Model Schools.
Ennum Ezhuthum: We are currently also working as the ‘Chief Management Partner’ for Tamil Nadu’s official Foundational Learning Mission, The ‘Ennum Ezhuthum Mission’ – a Rs. 500 Cr Mission of national and regional importance aimed at universalising foundational learning for all children in Tamil Nadu’s 37,000 government schools.
Project MALA: Project MALA aims to create high-tech, low-tech and no-tech tools which can support child-educators (parents, teachers, volunteers) to build the neuro-linguistic exposure that children require to acquire language proficiency through oracy. Children in rural areas or from low income households have minimal exposure to the English language- particularly oracy. They find the existing english language learning tools inadequate to build fluency in spoken English and also have difficulty in reading to learn from English sources. Project MALA aims to leverage technology and contextually built learning resources to solve this problem.
Tamil Nadu STEAM Model Schools: To ensure holistic growth of children from underserved communities and to empower them with the skills to work toward their dreams, the Department of School Education has embarked on an ambitious project of setting up ‘Tamil Nadu Model Schools’ that will serve children from the most marginalized backgrounds and equip them with skills and knowledge such that their disadvantages get mitigated and no longer impede their success in academics, work and life. Madhi has joined the Department to assist in the setting up of these 38 Model Schools, each exemplifying the principles of equity and inclusion in letter and spirit, enabling every student, irrespective of their background, to receive equal opportunities to aspire and achieve their goals.
The job vacancy detailed here pertains to this Model Schools project. To know more about the work we do, check out our information brochure at bit.ly/MadhiFdn_LearnMore
Your team (Projects)
The Projects team comprises Curriculum and Classroom Instruction (CCI), Training and Programme Delivery (T&PD), Data for Governance (DFG), Information Technology (IT), District Project Management Unit (DPMU) and Project Management and Strategy (PM&S). The project team consists of heroes who work with various stakeholders across the state. The team exhibits energy and determination to get the job done, come rain or sunshine. Every decision is made keeping in mind that foundational learning for children comes first. They work together seamlessly to make magic happen day after day, doing whatever it takes to get us closer to our vision.
About the role
The Director, IT will anchor the IT sub vertical. The focus of this role is to support the generation of periodic reports based on the information collected from various technological statistics such as the Ennum Ezhuthum Tracker, Tamil Nadu Vagupparai Nokin tracker, and dashboards developed for the review meetings conducted at the state and district level.
The challenges you will help solve in this role:
- Constantly propose new ideas and implement consistent architecture engineering and move it to practice
- We, as an organization, work with our stakeholders on a regular basis and it is important to retain and enhance our relationship with them. You will add a little zing to our technical team by effectively communicating and implementing comprehensive architectural models to all stakeholders
- Be able to constructively work on large scale projects that use multiple inconsistent architecture engineering methods. There may be times when the architecture engineering methods’ documentation is incomplete. You will be decode and arrive at a functional solution
- Without relying too much on the architectural tools, you will bring about a strong connection between the architecture and the design it drives
The job description:
Below is an indicative set of responsibilities you will be required to lead as part of your role. We believe that a job description is best created collaboratively where the individual joining the team and the senior leadership team together define the role in greater detail so it reflects your aspirations and ambitions as much as it does the organisation’s needs. A detailed description will be jointly created once the selection process has been completed and you have accepted our offer of employment.
In this role some of your responsibilities will include:
- Build and maintain a scalable, flexible, extensible data architecture and platform that drives e-governance across the departments.
- Create and execute a data strategy for data driven e-governance and articulate to all stakeholders.
- Design, build and maintain scalable and extensible data processing components (Batch and Real-time) for Data Ingestion, Data
- Transformation, Data Curation, Data Cataloging, and Data Security, and Data Integrity.
- Build and maintain appropriate systems and storage for efficient Data lifecycle management – databases, data marts, data lakes, data warehouses and archives.
- Lead architecture and design of integrated e-governance systems across departments.
- Ensure that the review meeting statistics tracker is updated and represented
- Quantitatively manage the various projects being developed within the department’s in house IT team with different IT metrics
- Understanding in Server management and maintenance both in Cloud & Physical
- Broad Spectrum of Experience in Enterprises/Web/Mobile application
- Hands on experience in Project documentation and Software architecture
- Build strong relationships at the state level and ensure efficient coordination for any activity that may come our way
- Lead & manage a team of Database Engineers, Data Analysts and software developers
- Interact with departments and other stakeholders to support design & use of applications and data mining tools for effective real time reporting and analytics.
- Work closely with different stakeholders within the department (Principal Secretary to Government for Education Department, Commissioner of School Education, State Project Director of Samagra Shiksha and other Directors & Joint Directors) , other Government departments / PSU ( like MHRD, TNeGA, etc.,), external vendors, start-ups and academic partners as needed and to maintain a good working relationship with them.
- Drive the adoption of standards and best practices and promote reuse
- Prepare and present the reports of data from different projects, periodically to the department.
- To work with the department for envisioning the various activities of EMIS (education department’s in house technical wing)
You will thrive in this role if you:
- Enjoy analytical problem solving using technology
- Passionate about working in the IT field, yet work towards the educational development of children
- Proficient in the necessary computer languages that will allow you to solve any challenge that may rise
- Will be able to manage the risks and changes>
- Good in people management
- Always puts customer satisfaction as priority
- Good experience in IT Resource management and Optimization
- Have at least 4 years of work experience with at least 2 years in the social sector
- Proficient in development and/or DBA experience in Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) such as DB2, Oracle, SQL, Server,
- MySQL and/or Postgres, MPP databases (Teradata etc.)
- Experienced in optimal design and analyzing complex distributed production deployments in Hybrid cloud environments and use of serverless managed services.
- Strong understanding of modern data ingestion/curation/wrangling tools/technologies such as Informatica suite, Talend suite etc., BI tools such as Tableau/Qlikview
- Experienced in/deep understanding of design and implementation of enterprise data models and metadata structures. Understanding of different data modeling techniques such as Relational modeling, Dimensional modeling, Data Vault, etc.
- Experienced in/deep knowledge of the design and development of ETL code to load and transform the source data from various formats into a SQL database.
- Experienced in/deep knowledge of architecting and developing Data Warehousing / BI / Reporting solutions using platforms and technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Databricks etc
- Around 20 years of experience in the IT field with technical and analytical roles.
- Ability and experience in handling a highly efficient team
- Experience of working with the public systems will be an advantage
- Experience in the education/development sector would be an added advantage
- Should be able to understand the requirements of the department and to utilize the benefit of the technologies for the various initiatives of the department
- A degree in a relevant field of study such as B.E/ B.Tech/ MCA/ MSc./ ME/ MTech from a reputed institution
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint and all Google Suite applications
- At least spoken knowledge of Tamil language
This role will report to:
- Associate Director, TN Soars
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Rs 20 – 27 Lakhs p.a
- You will be expected to bring your own laptop, with updated software (MS Office 2016)
Link to Application Form:
For more information, please write to: [email protected]