Senior Manager, Curriculum & Classroom PracticeApply
The Senior Manager will be expected to anchor the curriculum creation and instructional design for FLIP. You will ensure that the content delivered to students and teachers is academically rigorous and contextually relevant. You will also be expected to support the Edukit team to strategise content offerings and provide pedagogical support for developing the product offering. You will manage and lead the creation of various types of content such as lesson plans, worksheets, learning videos pertaining to literacy and numeracy, designing Madhi’s assessment tools and other collaterals on a need basis.
Madhi works with the Department of School Education (and with Samagra Shiksha and the State Council for Educational Research and Training, Tamil Nadu) to implement large-scale reforms in curriculum, teacher training and governance to improve foundational learning outcomes among students in government schools in the state. The organisation is 4 years old and is all set to scale its impact from the pilot project 'The Foundational Learning Improvement Programme' (FLIP), which was implemented in 2000 schools. Encouraged by the potential of FLIP, the state has integrated it entirely with its efforts to implement the 'Foundational Literacy and Numeracy Mission' (FLN Mission), outlined in the New Education Policy (NEP) 2020, across 40,000 primary schools in the state.
Apart from FLIP, Madhi is also piloting two new ideas: a mobile-based application (Edukit) to improve the quality of teaching and teacher support; and the creation of a Centre for Research and Innovation in Foundation Learning (CRIFL) with a vision to strengthen programme impact as well as contribute to the larger ecosystem by disseminating knowledge and learnings from the field.Your team
The Teaching Learning Materials (TLM) team is responsible for the design and delivery of instructional materials for students and teachers. The team is diverse and dynamic comprising curriculum developers, pedagogy experts, instructional designers, graphic designers and videographers. The team believes that well-designed learning materials can equip teachers to transform classroom practices to improve learning outcomes at scale.About the role
The Senior Manager will be expected to anchor the curriculum creation and instructional design for FLIP. You will ensure that the content delivered to students and teachers is academically rigorous and contextually relevant. You will also be expected to support the Edukit team to strategise content offerings and provide pedagogical support for developing the product offering. You will manage and lead the creation of various types of content such as lesson plans, worksheets, learning videos pertaining to literacy and numeracy, designing Madhi’s assessment tools and other collaterals on a need basis.In this role, you will execute:
- Create the overall content strategy & roadmap and thereby improve classroom practices
- Implement a cohesive, research-based design across content and programme, such that the tools and content offerings accelerate student achievement of learning outcomes
- Propose improvements by researching curricula from other educational systems and varied resources to incorporate the best approaches to teaching and learning in classrooms
- Lead the creation of curricular framework for student-facing content
- Research and design ready-to-use classroom resources and teacher-facing instructional content with a strong understanding of the subjects (English & Math) and the context
- Design a comprehensive process framework and guidelines for the TLM team and oversee adherence to it at all points in the creation cycle
- Ensure on time delivery of teacher handbooks, workbooks and other learning and training materials
- Spearhead the creation of the teacher and administrator professional development framework to train and on-board teachers, HMs and BRTEs to the programme
- Design clear and comprehensive guidelines to create high-quality digital content for training teachers and other administrators
- Anchor and manage the entire content creation cycle by setting processes & structures for the team to produce high quality output adhering to Madhi standards
- Co-lead the curricular and training planning workshops with the state department and obtain necessary approvals from the SMEs of the relevant government departments
- Anchor the creation of all learning assessments of Madhi’s projects – including impact assessments (such as baseline/endline assessments and other diagnostic assessments)
- Support the creation of training and classroom observation frameworks that is aligned to the M&E framework
- Observe classrooms to improve understanding of the context and strategise the effective adoption of the new/modified instructional design materials
- Track project progress and support the team achieve their individual goals
- Manage a highly skilled and motivated team and constantly strive to help them grow and realise their potential
- Ensure all team management structures are followed diligently and personalised support provided whenever required
- Have a master’s degree in a relevant field of study from a reputed institution preferably with a specialisation in early grade education
- Possess excellent leadership and coaching skills
- Have exceptional planning skills and sets a high bar of excellence for yourself and your team
- Have demonstrable skills with respect to attention to detail
- Have prior experience working with government stakeholders
- Have a keen interest in pedagogy and strive to read and research extensively on it
- Have a penchant for instructional design and know exactly how-to breakdown complex processes for consumption
- 6-10 years of work experience with at least 5 years of relevant experience in curriculum design, content development, training or programme design
- At least 3 years of managerial experience with a team span of minimum 5 members
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of specialisation
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to speak, read and understand Tamil
- Lead, FLIP
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Rs. 11 - 13 lakh per annum
- You will be expected to bring your own laptop with updated software (MS Office 2016)
Assisting in classroom observations.
Supporting our tech team.
Contributing to our data collection and analysis efforts.
There is much you can help us with and no dearth of opportunities for you to explore! Volunteer with Madhi, and play your part in making quality education accessible to all children.