Senior Manager, People & CultureApply
The Senior Manager, People & Culture will partner closely with all teams across our growing organization. The focus of this role is to assess, coach and influence as we scale and evolve to enable our teams to accomplish amazing things. At Madhi, our culture shapes who we are and how we operate. We need someone who is just as passionate about the culture as they are about their core responsibilities as an HR Leader. The ideal candidate is a builder - someone who can come in with a willingness and an ability to build HR Operations and Programs from the ground up. You will own and heavily influence everything from Career Mapping and Performance Management programs, to bonus & incentive planning, Talent Acquisition and Learning & Development.
Madhi’s approach to education reform stands out from other siloed, piecemeal solutions that address only one of the many components of education (like teacher training or curriculum revision etc.,). It is holistic, comprehensive and catalytic, and unfailingly places the last mile child at the centre of all its decisions.
Madhi is the ‘Chief Management Partner’ for Tamil Nadu’s official Foundational Learning Mission, The ‘Ennum Ezhuthum Mission’ - a Rs. 500 Cr Mission of national and regional importance aimed at universalising foundational learning for all children in Tamil Nadu’s 35,000 government schools.
Over the next 5 years, Madhi plans to leverage its learnings from having worked closely with the education system in Tamil Nadu to diversify into other critical domains within education and lay the ground for taking some of our programmes to nation-wide scale while remaining true to our core belief that all our decisions must be rooted in lifting the last mile child out of learning poverty.
To know more about the work we do, check out our information brochure at bit.ly/MadhiFdn_LearnMoreYour Team
The Organisational Development (OD) team comprises Human Capital Management (HCM), Operations, Communications and Partnerships. The OD team consists of heroes who work hard in the shadows and believe that the show must go on, come rain or sunshine. The HCM team is in charge of managing human capital and talent at Madhi and strives to find passionate and committed individuals to join the team. The operations team ensures seamless functioning of the organisation and oversees finance and administration-related activities.About the role
The Senior Manager, People and Culture will partner closely with all teams across our growing organization. The focus of this role is to assess, coach and influence as we scale and evolve to enable our teams to accomplish amazing things. At Madhi, our culture shapes who we are and how we operate. We need someone who is just as passionate about the culture as they are about their core responsibilities as an HR Leader. The ideal candidate is a builder - someone who can come in with a willingness and an ability to build HR Operations and Programs from the ground up. You will own and heavily influence everything from Career Mapping and Performance Management programs, to bonus & incentive planning, Talent Acquisition and Learning & Development.The challenges you will help solve in this role:
- “Culture eats strategy for breakfast” - At Madhi, we live by this philosophy everyday. As a Senior Manager, you will be expected to align with the philosophy and together build an organisational culture that complements Madhi’s goals and aspirations.
- The average age of the team at Madhi is 28 years old. This means we are a team of highly-driven, ambitious and committed individuals (mostly millennials!) whose aspirations and motivations are not limited just to money or a promotion. As the Senior Manager People and Culture, you will be responsible to understand deeply the learning and development aspirations of such a team and support the team in achieving those personal and professional goals
- Over the past 5 years, we have grown from a team of 5 to a team of 25 currently and are likely to grow exponentially to a team of 150 soon. This will require us to strengthen our hiring practices, set up systems that look at hiring strategies for candidates from Tier 2 and Tier 3 towns along with continuing to hire for a diverse core team in Chennai. As the Senior Manager, you will need to lead from the front to identify talent pipelines, create exciting JDs and find Madhi the right kind of talent.
- We are an outcome-driven organisation and we do not obsess over clocking in and clocking out. As the Senior Manager, you will be responsible to identify ways in which we can hold ourselves accountable to a high bar of excellence with a singular focus on outcomes by setting up systems that let us keep our eye on the ball at all times
- We are a people first organisation which means we do whatever it takes to make Madhi a safe and comfortable and enjoyable place for the team to work at. We are also a small, growing team which means everyone does everything, many a time. As the Senior Manager, you will be expected to operate without inhibitions, doing whatever it takes to make Madhi a great place to work at. On some days this may look like ensuring the roof is not leaking and on others this may look like you sitting in on a discussion resolving conflict among team members
- A small part of your role will also intersect with Finance. Ensuring the team receives their salaries on time without any discrepancies will be the responsibility of the Finance associate that you will manage and you will be required to ensure the end of month processes are smooth and to a great extent, automated
Below is an indicative set of responsibilities you will be required to lead as part of your role. We believe that a job description is best created collaboratively where the individual joining the team and the senior leadership team together define the role in greater detail so it reflects your aspirations and ambitions as much as it does the organisation’s needs. A detailed description will be jointly created once the selection process has been completed and you have accepted our offer of employment.In this role some of your responsibilities will include:
- Setting up processes, systems and habits that help nurture Madhi’s organisational culture
- Creating a robust Human Capital Management strategy (from acquisition to Learning and Development to performance evaluation) for Madhi along with the CEO and your team and lead its execution through the year
- Assist the CEO in modelling the annual HCM budget and ensure that the HCM processes of the organisation are streamlined to ensure adherence
- Supervise effective execution of HR Operations systems such as payroll, HRIS, goal setting process etc. to ensure optimal organisational efficiency and employee satisfaction
- Design Human Resources policies that are fair, transparent, compliant and in alignment to Madhi’s core values
- Have lead people management at a nonprofit or a start-up
- Look at the human capital management function from an unconventional lens
- Are deeply people-oriented and understand the complex relationship humans have with work
- Understand the motivations behind people who choose to work in the development sector
- Posses a growth mindset and are comfortable seeking solutions for problems that you may not immediately have an understanding of
- Have prior experience in setting up rigorous selection processes for small to mid-sized organizations
- Have prior experience in developing targeted Learning & Development experiences for diverse teams
- Possess demonstrable leadership skills and a resilient entrepreneurial mindset
- Have outstanding formal written communication skills in English
- Have impeccable planning and task tracking skills
- At least 6-10 years of relevant work experience in people management roles with a minimum of 4 years in a managerial position
- Experience of having directly managed a team of at least 3-5 mid-level managers
- Experience in the education/development sector would be an added advantage
- A degree in a relevant field of study from a reputed institution
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint and all Google Suite applications
- At least spoken knowledge of Tamil language
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- 10 - 13 lakhs per annum
- You will be expected to bring your own laptop, with updated software (MS Office 2016)
Senior Manager, Curriculum & Classroom PracticeApply
The Senior Manager will be expected to anchor the curriculum creation and instructional design for FLIP. You will ensure that the content delivered to students and teachers is academically rigorous and contextually relevant. You will also be expected to support the Edukit team to strategise content offerings and provide pedagogical support for developing the product offering. You will manage and lead the creation of various types of content such as lesson plans, worksheets, learning videos pertaining to literacy and numeracy, designing Madhi’s assessment tools and other collaterals on a need basis.
Madhi works with the Department of School Education (and with Samagra Shiksha and the State Council for Educational Research and Training, Tamil Nadu) to implement large-scale reforms in curriculum, teacher training and governance to improve foundational learning outcomes among students in government schools in the state. The organisation is 4 years old and is all set to scale its impact from the pilot project 'The Foundational Learning Improvement Programme' (FLIP), which was implemented in 2000 schools. Encouraged by the potential of FLIP, the state has integrated it entirely with its efforts to implement the 'Foundational Literacy and Numeracy Mission' (FLN Mission), across 40,000 primary schools in the state.
Apart from FLIP, Madhi is also piloting two new ideas: a mobile-based application (Edukit) to improve the quality of teaching and teacher support; and the creation of a Centre for Research and Innovation in Foundation Learning (CRIFL) with a vision to strengthen programme impact as well as contribute to the larger ecosystem by disseminating knowledge and learnings from the field.Your team
The Teaching Learning Materials (TLM) team is responsible for the design and delivery of instructional materials for students and teachers. The team is diverse and dynamic comprising curriculum developers, pedagogy experts, instructional designers, graphic designers and videographers. The team believes that well-designed learning materials can equip teachers to transform classroom practices to improve learning outcomes at scale.About the role
The Senior Manager will be expected to anchor the curriculum creation and instructional design for FLIP. You will ensure that the content delivered to students and teachers is academically rigorous and contextually relevant. You will also be expected to support the Edukit team to strategise content offerings and provide pedagogical support for developing the product offering. You will manage and lead the creation of various types of content such as lesson plans, worksheets, learning videos pertaining to literacy and numeracy, designing Madhi’s assessment tools and other collaterals on a need basis.In this role, you will execute:
- Create the overall content strategy & roadmap and thereby improve classroom practices
- Implement a cohesive, research-based design across content and programme, such that the tools and content offerings accelerate student achievement of learning outcomes
- Propose improvements by researching curricula from other educational systems and varied resources to incorporate the best approaches to teaching and learning in classrooms
- Lead the creation of curricular framework for student-facing content
- Research and design ready-to-use classroom resources and teacher-facing instructional content with a strong understanding of the subjects (English & Math) and the context
- Design a comprehensive process framework and guidelines for the TLM team and oversee adherence to it at all points in the creation cycle
- Ensure on time delivery of teacher handbooks, workbooks and other learning and training materials
- Spearhead the creation of the teacher and administrator professional development framework to train and on-board teachers, HMs and BRTEs to the programme
- Design clear and comprehensive guidelines to create high-quality digital content for training teachers and other administrators
- Anchor and manage the entire content creation cycle by setting processes & structures for the team to produce high quality output adhering to Madhi standards
- Co-lead the curricular and training planning workshops with the state department and obtain necessary approvals from the SMEs of the relevant government departments
- Anchor the creation of all learning assessments of Madhi’s projects – including impact assessments (such as baseline/endline assessments and other diagnostic assessments)
- Support the creation of training and classroom observation frameworks that is aligned to the M&E framework
- Observe classrooms to improve understanding of the context and strategise the effective adoption of the new/modified instructional design materials
- Track project progress and support the team achieve their individual goals
- Manage a highly skilled and motivated team and constantly strive to help them grow and realise their potential
- Ensure all team management structures are followed diligently and personalised support provided whenever required
- Have a master’s degree in a relevant field of study from a reputed institution preferably with a specialisation in early grade education
- Possess excellent leadership and coaching skills
- Have exceptional planning skills and sets a high bar of excellence for yourself and your team
- Have demonstrable skills with respect to attention to detail
- Have prior experience working with government stakeholders
- Have a keen interest in pedagogy and strive to read and research extensively on it
- Have a penchant for instructional design and know exactly how-to breakdown complex processes for consumption
- 6-10 years of work experience with at least 5 years of relevant experience in curriculum design, content development, training or programme design
- At least 3 years of managerial experience with a team span of minimum 5 members
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of specialisation
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to speak, read and understand Tamil
- Lead, FLIP
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Rs. 11 - 13 lakh per annum
- You will be expected to bring your own laptop with updated software (MS Office 2016)
Assisting in classroom observations.
Supporting our tech team.
Contributing to our data collection and analysis efforts.
There is much you can help us with and no dearth of opportunities for you to explore! Volunteer with Madhi, and play your part in making quality education accessible to all children.